Constructed between 1969 and 1973, the Montparnasse Tower has often been met with mixed feelings by Parisians and architectural enthusiasts alike. Yet, what cannot be disputed is the unparalleled view it offers. The tower’s 56th floor and rooftop terrace provide sweeping 360-degree vistas of Paris, allowing visitors to spot iconic landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, and the Arc de Triomphe from a bird’s eye perspective.
Why Visit Montparnasse Tower?
1. Unmatched Views of Paris: The main allure of Montparnasse Tower is its observation deck, which boasts the best panoramic views of Paris. From the tower’s summit, visitors can enjoy the cityscape without the obstruction of glass or bars, making it an ideal spot for photography enthusiasts and romantics alike.
2. The Fastest Elevator in Europe: The journey to the top is an experience in itself. The tower’s elevator, considered the fastest in Europe, whisks visitors to the 56th floor in just 38 seconds, offering an exhilarating start to the adventure.
3. An Educational Experience: The 56th floor is not just about the views; it also features interactive exhibits and multimedia displays that provide insights into the history of Paris and the tower. This educational aspect makes the visit enriching, especially for first-time visitors to the city.
4. A Gastronomic Journey: The tower is home to the renowned Ciel de Paris restaurant, where guests can indulge in gourmet cuisine while enjoying the stunning backdrop of the Parisian skyline. It’s a perfect spot for a memorable meal.
5. Sunset and Nighttime Splendor: Watching the sunset from the tower is a breathtaking experience, as the city transitions from daylight to the illuminated beauty of the night. The twinkling lights of Paris, including the hourly sparkling of the Eiffel Tower, create a magical atmosphere.
How to Buy Tickets
Online Purchase: The most convenient way to buy tickets for Montparnasse Tower is online through the official website or Montparnasse Tickets. Purchasing tickets in advance can save time and secure a spot, especially during peak tourist seasons.
On-Site Purchase: Tickets can also be bought on-site at the tower’s ticket office. However, be prepared for potential queues, especially during weekends and holidays.
Types of Tickets: Visitors can choose between standard admission tickets and combination tickets that include extras like a glass of champagne at the top. There are also discounted rates for children, students, and seniors.
Skip-the-Line Options: For those looking to maximize their time in Paris, skip-the-line tickets are available at a premium. These tickets allow you to bypass the queues, offering direct access to the elevators.
Planning Your Visit
Best Time to Visit: Early morning or late afternoon are the best times to visit Montparnasse Tower to avoid crowds. For those wishing to witness the sunset, timing your visit accordingly is crucial, keeping in mind that this is a popular time and can be crowded.
Accessibility: Montparnasse Tower is fully accessible, with facilities in place to ensure that everyone can enjoy the spectacular views of Paris.
In conclusion, while Montparnasse Tower may not have the historical allure of other Parisian landmarks, its modernity and the breathtaking views it offers are unmatched. It provides a unique perspective of Paris, allowing visitors to see the city in its entirety, from the historic streets of the Left Bank to the modern business district of La Défense. Whether you’re a first-time visitor to Paris or a seasoned traveler, the Montparnasse Tower promises an unforgettable experience that will leave you with lasting memories of the City of Light.